Like them or hate them, Christmas isn't quite the same without sprouts! Just one cup delivers 16% of your recommended daily
- 2 lbs Brussel sprouts (stems trimmed, outer leaves removed and cut in half)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp date paste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Almond slices (toasted/untoasted)
- Set the oven to heat to 200 celsius
- Combine the vinegar, garlic powder, cinnamon and star anise in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and then set to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, place the Brussel sprouts in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 25 minutes (I took away any loose leaves so that they wouldn't burn).
- Check on the vinegar mixture and stir often so that it doesn't stick. When the quantity has reduced by about half, turn off the heat.
- When the brussel sprouts are starting to colour and feel tender (20-25 minutes), put them in a large bowl and spoon on some sauce - you may not need it all so add gradually. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Return the sprouts to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds. Yum!
Pea Lawson (Mel's sister-in-law!) shares her recipes to prove that whole-food plant-based eating is not just spinach or chia seeds. She finds more exciting, flavourful and compassionate ways to cook and live. For more recipes and inspiration from Pea head over to plantpoweredpea.blog