‘Where you stand, be the soul of that place’ Rumi.
I love this quote and idea.
As you read this, I wonder how your body feels and what your thoughts are like? Sometimes we have days when everything is overwhelming and you just can’t find a way forward. And then we have those wonderful days when everything flows easily. I wonder if you notice what you do, think and feel differently
I really believe the mind-body connection matters. Professionally as a result of all the training I’ve done with NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and
Photograph by Luis Ilerena
Here are a few tools I use regularly, which I hope will help you strengthen a positive mind-body connection, as we head towards the festive time and into the New Year:
- Make a weekly plan highlighting one thing that will help your mind, and another which will help your body to feel well. Write them down, acknowledge them and really feel the difference they make.
- At the end of each day, do a quick ‘mind-body audit’. Jot down how much energy you have, how your sleep has been and the nature of your thoughts. Choose one of the areas to adjust slightly and improve the following day. By doing this every day, the tiny changes will help to strengthen your mind-body connection.
- At the beginning and end of each day, take 6 deep breaths. Breathing in what you would like to feel (confidence, energy or
happiness forexample) and breathing out any anxiety and tension. Notice as you breathe where you feel tightness in your body, and really focus your intention on relaxing those areas.
Photograph by Simson Petrol
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you and ideas that support your intentions. Search
outbooks, music, movement, fresh food, hydration and fun that uplift you and make you feel good. So even if you’ve had a really stressful day, you’re adding positive little moments that will improve your wellbeing in both mind and body.
- Take time out every now and
then just to switchoff, or at least slow the busy pace of life, especially during the festive season. Check in on how you’re really feeling. What one thing could you do to enhance your wellness? Perhaps it’s having the courage to say no to a party so you can rest and sleep. Or perhaps it’s having the confidence to say yes and boost youlaughter and fun. Whatever you choose, just make sure you take moments to check in with your mind and body so you look after yourself.
- Do a random act of kindness for someone during this festive period. It could be anything from a
charitydonation, to volunteering or doing a charity Santa Run. Something that makes you feel good, and gives to others willboost your mind-body connection.
Omega 3 could help improve the mind-body connection by strengthening the nervous system and overall
Having studied the physiology of the body, the neurology of our thoughts and the
Kim Ingleby has the passion and skills to help you make your