Ask anybody you know if they love brownies and they are bound to respond with a definite ‘yes’!
We’ve created a delicious, easy-to-follow recipe that uses 100% plant-based products so you can enjoy hemp brownies at home. By using 0% THC hemp products, they’re the perfect way to wind down in the evenings after dinner.
It’s not just the CBD oil in these brownies that’s good for your health either. Both cocoa powder and dates have their own set of incredible qualities.
Let’s do a quick run-through of the benefits of each ingredient:
Benefits of CBD
CBD is obtained from the cannabis plant. It’s one of 115 phytocompounds found in the marijuana plant and has a range of beneficial effects on your body.
There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence of the benefits of CBD however it’s still in early stages. Many people take CBD for the restorative mind and body effects it may have. The popular reason people take it is to relieve anxiety and stress.
Benefits of cocoa powder
Cocoa powder contains antioxidants that can help your cells fight oxidative damage. It has also been shown to improve brain function and heart health due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It can even help weight management and regulate blood sugar levels too.
Benefits of dates
Dates are packed full of micronutrients including potassium, magnesium, iron, copper and vitamin B6. They have lots of plant-based fibre which can aid digestion and help the beneficial bacteria in your gut to thrive.
This dried fruit is also known to contain antioxidants such as flavonoids and carotenoids that can reduce cellular oxidative stress. They’re the perfect way to sweeten your brownies without adding refined sugar.
Time to get baking
Makes 16 brownie squares
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 20 minutes
Net carbs - 25.8 grams
Fat - 4.5 grams
Protein - 3.4 grams
Calories - 155 kcals per brownie square
For the Hemp Brownies
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 15 ml of a quality CBD oil (1200mg is a good strength)
For the Date Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
You can find these ingredients in your local grocery store. To find a good quality and safe CBD oil head to your local pharmacy or buy online from stores such as GreenBox.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch square baking tray with parchment paper. Lightly grease the paper with coconut oil.
- Place the pitted dates into a food processor and cover them with 1 cup of boiling water. Make sure the water completely covers the dates.
- Close the food processor lid and leave the dates to soak in the water for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Blend the dates until they form a thick paste. This should take around 1 minute on a medium speed. If necessary, pulse the dates in 20-second intervals and scrape the mixture from the sides of the food processor between each interval.
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder, ground almond, flaxseed meal, vanilla extract, salt and baking powder to the food processor. Blend for 20-30 seconds on medium speed. At this point the mixture should be a dark, sticky chocolate brownie batter that is slightly dry.
- Add the almond milk and 15 ml of Love Hemp CBD oil, and continue to process for another 20 seconds. The batter should now be shiny and moist.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly into the lined 8 x 8-inch square baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until the top of the brownie is set and slightly crispy.
- Set aside and allow the brownies to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the date chocolate frosting by adding the pitted dates to a blender. Cover with boiling water and allow the dates to soak for 10-15 minutes until they are soft.
- Blend the dates until they form a paste before adding the unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Blend again until a thick creamy frosting forms.
- Once cooled, remove the brownies from the parchment paper and allow them to cool fully before adding the frosting.
- Spread the frosting evenly across the brownies and store in the fridge to set.
- Cut the brownies into 16 even squares and enjoy!
This blog was written by Daisy Kim, the GreenBox resident wellness expert. She is a great believer in harnessing the restorative power of plants to lead a natural, healthy lifestyle.