Louisa Drake the creator and founder of the Louisa Drake Method (LDM) has put together a workout that sculpts, strengthens and lengthens. The series is an effective glute toning exercise but it will also help to develop strength and stability throughout the core muscles of the body. This includes the rectus abdominals, erector spine, hamstrings and adductors (inner thigh). The variations also focus on the hip flexors, quadriceps and obliques. So multiple muscles are working!
(1 - 2 x sets of 8 reps)
- Lie on your back and place the LDM stability ball in between your knees
- Bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor in a ‘v’ position. Heels should be directly below your knees.
- Rest your arms alongside your body.
- Inhale to prepare, then exhale and squeeze the ball.
- Start to lift and peel your pelvis up and off the mat making a straight line from your hips to your shoulders.
- Lift your hips and squeeze the ball a few inches and lower the hips a few inches.
(1-2 x sets of 8 reps)
- This is same movement, just smaller and quicker.
- Up for a challenge? Float your arms up to the ceiling, keep your pelvis still and stable and focus on squeezing the ball. (Perform 2 x sets of 8 reps.)
Can can kicks
(Aim for 8-10 reps on each leg)
- From the shoulder bridge, set your feet back into a ‘v’ position with your arms by your sides.
- Lift your pelvis off the mat and extend the working leg up to the ceiling.
- Bend your knee and lower your foot to opposite knee/thigh as you lower pelvis down towards the mat, then push your pelvis up and extend your leg.
- Inhale, bend, lower, exhale, kick and lift!
- (This is one repetition, aim for 8-10 reps on one leg.)
Transition into pulses upwards
(1-2 sets of 8 reps.)
- Tuck and lift your hips up maintaining a straight leg.
- Bend the working leg, lower your foot to the floor and without dropping your pelvis to the mat and transition to the other leg. (Repeat set, 1 & 2.)
- Don't forget to stretch!
Follow our #conFITdence series featuring Louisa Drake over on our social media.